Friday, September 24, 2010
Will The Internet Kill Magazines?
Did instant coffee kill coffee?
The Magazine Publishers of America and Y&R Advertising want the world to know that reports of the death of the magazine industry have been exaggerated. Throughout the summer magazine and print ads attempt to correct misconceptions about magazine readership and the effect of the internet on magazine readership.
Under the catch-phrase "We Surf the Internet. We Swim in Magazines" the campaign is supported by several surprising metrics:
* Magazine readership has risen 4.3% over the past five years
* Adults 18-34 are avid magazine readers. They read more issues and spend more time per issue than their over-34 counterparts
* During the 12-year life of Google, magazine readership increased 11%
* Magazines outperform other media in driving positive shifts in purchase consideration/intent.
* People magazine reaches 45 million readers every week, topping the 22.7 million people who watched the 2009 finale of Fox's American Idol.
Visit the Alexandria Campus Library today and check out our collection of over 200 magazines.