Thursday, June 29, 2006
Jean Hogan, Media Services Librarian (second from the left, above) rode with Team Iron Riders in the 2006 Tour de Cure for the American Diabetes Association. Jean and the Team rode 32 miles (!) on the Washington & Old Dominion Trail (http://www.wodfriends.org/map1.html) on June 4th and raised $1570.00. Congratulations to Jean and the Iron Team!
Monday, June 19, 2006
Open the Library Catalog (http://vccslinc.vccs.edu/F/?func=find-b-0&local_base=nvcc). Use the drop-down menu to choose "NOVA-Alexandria". This will limit your search just to the Alexandria Campus Library.
Please note that the catalog continues to default to "Northern Virginia CC", and will search all six campsues at once for your convenience.
Monday, June 12, 2006
Check out some of the Library's new and compelling titles. Whether it's the mythology of DC Comics, or surviving office politics, or investigating ESP, evaluating Pope John Paul's legacy or using technology in teaching, there's something of interest for everyone.
Read about these and more new books at the Library's New Books page:
Or visit the Library and browse the New Books Display.
Search for other titles in the library catalog:
To suggest a title for the Library to consider for purchase, just fill in this handy form:
Thursday, June 08, 2006
What was YOUR Library like 20 years ago?
- The Library used an automated punch card system to check out books (see punch card in the photo above)
- The Library Catalog was available on microfilm only
- Eating, drinking, smoking, and loud talking were not permitted in the Library
- The Library held a collection of 16mm films
- There were no computers available for student use in the Library
- Searching on-line databases was only available by appointment with a Librarian
Some things never change. Samples from the Suggestion Book indicate that some current problems and concerns are long standing. Examples include:
- Why is it so noisy in the Library?
- It is too hot/ too cold in the Library!
- Could the Library please have longer hours?
What did the Alexandria Campus look like in 1986?
- Alcohol consumption was permitted at student activities on campus until 1987!
- Enrollment at the Alexandria Campus was up 5% over the previous year
- Parking was a serious problem on campus. Before the parking deck was constructed, students with parking permits out-numbered available spaces by 3 to 1!
- Campus Council minutes were mimeographed (remember that purple print?) for distribution
- Campus Council addressed campus beautification, the academic calendar, parking, inclement weather policies, and the cleaning service contract (the more things change, the more they stay the same! Each of these issues was discussed in some form by the 2005-2006 Campus Council!)
Alexandria Campus Library Today (June 2006):
- The Library uses an online system (ALEPH) to check out books
- The Library Catalog is available via the World Wide Web (http://vccslinc.vccs.edu/F/?func=find-b-0&local_base=nvcc)
- Eating and Drinking are now permitted in the Library (you still can't smoke, though!)
- There are 44 computers for student use in the Library
- The Library subscribes to over 200 online databases that may be searched from on or off campus (http://www.nvcc.edu/Library/databases.htm)
- A group study area and quiet study area have been created to help deal with the noise problem
- New FANS have been purchased to cool down the Library on hot days
- The Library regularly has EXPANDED hours (open early/ open late!) during the last week of classes and final exams
Tuesday, June 06, 2006
Summer is a time to throw OUT the old an bring in the NEW. The Library has been sprucing up and shaping up with NEW computer tables, NEW chairs, and NEW media carrels. Come in and check out our NEW look!
(above: Technology Librarian Bruce Carroll in the Library Classrooom with NEW computer tables).
(below: Library Staff install new tables in the Reference area for the OPACs):